I’ve merged php 5.3 support today in the svn trunk together with the removal of php 4 and php 5.0 support. PHP 5.3 seems to work fine except for the optimizer. The optimizer compiles just fine but doesn’t work yet. The snapshot
PHP 5.3 will support loading .htaccess style settings for cgi and fastcgi according to a presentation given at a php conference. This is pretty funny. About two and a half years ago I wrote a patch for the cgi and fastcgi api’s of php. I didn’t get feedback about the patch until someone at the #lighttpd irc channel pinged a php developer hanging around there. The feedback was: This doesn’t belong in PHP, discussion closed!
Because I needed the patch at that moment I converted it into an extension and htscanner was born. I used it for a test setup that never got into production because of other problems. I didn’t need the extension any more and someone else took it over from me and posted it at pecl. Pretty funny Zend included it now, probably some corporate client needed it and all objections disappeared.
It’s been a while. I’ve been working pretty hard on my master thesis. At the moment it’s still high level design and a lot of reading. Next week I have to hand in a paper about what I’ve done so far.
There is some eAccelerator news, if you have been having problems with process which lock up please take a look at this thread.
I think it’s related to ticket #232.
Today I got my final results for my third year, I’m now Bachelor in the engineering science with a major in computer science and a minor in elektrotechnics. Tommorrow I get my results for my first year master in the computer science. I only had to redo the exams for one course so it should be fine. If all goes well I’ll start my final year in two weeks without any courses from previous years I have to retake.
A few days back we’ve also released version 0.9.5.2 which adresses the exception handling problems with php 5.2 and the optimizer turned on.
I’m still alive!
There has been a optimizer bug in eAccelerator for php 5.2 since it was released. This has been finally fixed by a contributed patch. The ticket that tracks this bug is this one #242. I’ve created a test tarball and uploaded here, if the response is positive we’ll release 0.9.5.2 in a week or so.
In the mean while I’ve been very busy at ULYSSIS after I came back from vacation. I’ve migrated all dns zones to a system that stores all zone information in ldap and an agent that verifies the serials in ldap and if the serial has been incremented a zone will be updated. On the front end side I’ve also written a webinterface that controls the dns information in ldap.
When this migration was finished I’ve also worked on a frontend to manage email adresses and virtual mail domains in ldap to migrate our qmail setup to a postfix+ldap setup. Big parts of it are finished, I’ve even managed to write a script that parses a few thousand .qmail files so they ca be imported in ldap. I’m waiting on the new hardware for the mailserver to arrive.
Since the beginning of August I’ve been studying for my exams. I’ve got to re-do three exams this year, a lot less then last year and I’ve got a lot of time between them. But this time I really want to pass all three of them so my last year can be a bit less busy.
Today I submitted my final thesis application. The application is in Dutch but I’ll try to translate it because it does have something to do with my work on eAccelerator. The title is “Management of large web infrastructure”.
In this thesis I’ll try to model the configuration of webserver(s) on a higher level together with the interaction with other services like network, firewall, dns, … The purpose is to come to a system that allows one to describe the configuration of one or more webservers and depending on the capabilities of the available platforms and server software to deploy the configuration.
I think it’s going to be interesting for me, especially because of my work at ULYSSIS and me work on eAccelerator.
The adoption from php 4 to php 5 is a lot slower then anyone had expected. In the drupal community there have been discussions about ending php 4 support, because php projects like drupal depend on the survival of php as a language.
Today I read this discussion on the drupal development list. When this projects would get of the ground and big projects like drupal, joomla, gallery, wordpress, … would jump on this, eAccelerator should really consider jumping on this too. The call for dropping php 4 support came from Rasmus so I think APC would consider doing this to. Such a signal from the PHP community should really accelerator php 5 adoption!
Today I released 0.9.5.1 which contains the patch needed to support php 5.2.2
The last few weeks/months have been very busy for and because of that I haven’t been having much time to spent on eAccelerator. Today we finished one of the bigger projects I have to make for my studies. For the course on userinterface I’ve been following we had to make a new interface for Amazon.
From our tests on Amazon.com we noticed that a lot of users have a lot of problems using their website. Our result can be found at http://amazon.ulyssis.be.
That just one of the projects we need to finish, their are others a lot bigger so until summer break there won’t be any time for eAccelerator. I don’t like it because I would really like to work further on the new caching code, but for now there isn’t much I can do about it.